geo-banner-1 geo-banner-2 geo-banner-3 geo-banner-4 geo-banner-5
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Geocache of the Month - December 2013

Geocache of the Month - December 2013 4 years 1 week ago #1837

• Zalgariath
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 24
Nominations are now open for the December 2013 geocache of the Month.

Remember there's no voting or exhaustive committee process. All you have to do is post a note in the Geocaching NSW forums about a cache you think deserves the Geocache of the Month award. Tell us why you think it deserves the award. It doesn't have to be a geocache hidden or found in the past 30 days.

BTW - You can renominate a cache that was put forward, but didn't win.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Geocache of the Month - December 2013 4 years 6 days ago #1844

• calypso62
  • Geomaster
  • Thank you received: 26
I would like to nominate GC28ZEP - Stargazers Delight by The Spindoctors. For someone who knew nothing about astronomy, this one had me gazing towards the heavens for inspiration. Unfortunately, I didn't find the answers to my questions there. I did discover I got to know Mr Google quite well and that sneaky hint became obvious once I started to see a pattern and the penny dropped! A set of coordinates appeared and that sweet word "Success" made me smile from ear to ear. For somebody new to puzzle caches, this was a fabulous experience and yes, it sparked my interest in all those little dots in the sky!

Geocache of the Month - December 2013 3 years 11 months ago #1853

At some stage chudles discovered that hiding caches was as much (or more) fun than finding them. The rest of the geocaching community remains grateful and each new cache brings its own challenges and sense of the absurd.

But it's not just the geocaching community that has benefitted. The lives of computer programmers and graphic designers the world over changed irrevocably at the mere mention of three little letters: c g f.

I'd like to nominate GC47QGQ Chudles Graphics Format (cgf). In support of this nomination I could provide quotes from the wimpy geocachers who have attempted this cache with their tales of leech infestation and tick magnetism. Bah. Better to quote those quoted on the cache listing page:

Bill Gates "What an awesomely inefficent format! For all but the most trivial of cases, it has the distinction of producing files sizes larger than a bmp!"
Linus Torvalds "Why would you bother, any vendor would be mad to support it"
Kim Kardashian "I love it. Look at all those pretty pictures"

PS. 100% favourites so far.

Geocache of the Month - December 2013 3 years 10 months ago #1918

• Spindoc Bob
  • Thank you received: 51
Bruce, thank you for the nomination and thank you committee for selecting my geocache. I love the final location. It would be worthy of traditional. Just a correction to the webpage announcement, I was never a professional astronomer. I was, and still am, an amateur astronomer. Unfortunately its been a while since my telescope has looked into the sky.

Geocache of the Month - December 2013 3 years 10 months ago #1919

• Baktrak
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 21
I thought you worked at a stargazing establishment didn't you? Near enough.

Geocache of the Month - December 2013 3 years 10 months ago #1920

• Spindoc Bob
  • Thank you received: 51
Public relations and education for the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex http://www.hi.com.au/careers/science/scicom.htm

Was also a member of the Canberra Astronomical Society (based at Mount Stromlo).
Time to create page: 0.571 seconds